Monday, April 27, 2009

A new blog - my son has AS

I have set up this blog because I need a place I can journal, as I learn about my son who was diagnosed with Aspergers (AS) last year.
He was 12 when he was diagnosed so it was a late one, but better late than never we hope!
My son would be described as an outgoing, friendly, eccentric type of little guy!

Asperger syndrome is described as "one of the autism spectrum disorders, characterized by abnormalities of social interaction and communication that pervade the individual's functioning, and by restricted and repetitive interests and behavior."

Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others.
Anton is VERY social and willingly approaches others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic such as insects!
He often does not recognize the listener's feelings or reactions, if the listener is in a rush to get away, he just doesn't get it.

This social awkwardness has been defined as "active but odd", thus the blog name!

This failure to react appropriately to social interaction may appear as disregard for other people's feelings, and may come across as insensitive.
But he does have feelings and cares for others, but finds it hard to show this in a "normal" way.

I have spent about a year "grieving" over the fact that my son has AS because his social impairment is lifelong. I always knew he was 'different' but having a form of autism was not what I expected.

But the outcome is generally more positive than with individuals with lower functioning autism spectrum disorders. Anton has such special qualities, a quirky sense of humour, and a keen passion for learning about his special subjects, and hopefully his passion for insects and gemstones etc, will lead to a successful life one day.

I am glad we found out that he does have AS, because in these crucial teenage years, he needs understanding, compassion and tolerance. And his "special" ways needs encouraging and nurturing. I have to now throw frustration out of the window, learn about AS and embrace the special unique moments.

4 comments:

nancy said...

It must be good to finally have a few answers to the questions that have puzzled you for years.

As Anton's grandmother I suppose I a biased but I think he is Unique. Yes,He drives us mad, yes he is frustrating and at times upsetting that what you expect to happen with him doesn't. I love his passion for things. At present times he is crazy about insects and the garden. Took him out with me recently and he found a tree with unusual seed pods and decided to take a few home. He found a plastic bag in my boot and FILLED IT UP with the things.

How many grandmothers sit with there 13 year old grandmothers and watch "Gardening Australia" on the TV - he even took notes. I love this boy.

miriam besaw said...

i am looking forward to learning more about AS Mish, as it has become so relevant to this generation. I have always had a great fondness for your Anton, just love his quirkiness, passion & individuality & his warmth for all...least, that's what i see in him. He is unique that's true, but lovable....keep up the blog!

KatherineB said...

WOW - thank you for doing this. My son is 8 and newly diagnosed with ASD (also late diagnosis). I will be reading with interest about *my* future on your blog... LOL.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via your Facebook info and found you via the Asperger's Syndrome group on FB. Voila.

My daughter who is 11 was just diagnosed with AS. I didn't realized that this age was "late". I'm just glad she's getting some help before she goes into her teenage years of school.

I'm fairly certain I have AS and it would have been wonderful to have understood why I was so much more socially awkward when I was young.